Jonathan Evison has served as a councillor on North Lincolnshire council for nine years, being Chair of Humberside Police and Crime Panel for six and has had other roles within the council including Ambassador for Steel and Heavy Industry, Vice Chair of Planning, scrutiny chairs and Mayor for two years.
He worked in the Steel industry at Scunthorpe for forty years, twenty as an Electrical Engineer and then latterly a production manager.
In addition Jonathan has served his community as a Barton Town Councillor for sixteen years, as a secondary school governor for eight - being Chair for the last three, the school is now ranked in the top 5% regionally. He also leads the Barton Bike Night committee which annually sees twenty thousand visitors and seven thousand motorcycles descend on the Town.
Jonathan also has an interest in the Arts, being a founder member of the Barton Musical Theatre company and member of the Hessel Theatre Company, additionally he’s devoted twenty-eight years to the Barton Town Band as chair and leader. In 2012 the band was among the top twenty bands in the UK.
His priorities if elected are: -
- More police on the streets; making sure they are professionally trained and motivated to protect the public and bring offenders to justice.
- To tackle drugs and antisocial behaviour while maintaining strong support for victims of crime.
- A rebalancing of initiatives between Rural and Urban crime
- Improve access to the police with easier reporting of crime and restoring confidence in the 101 system.
- He has also pledged to engage with the public and communities and is open to supporting and developing community initiatives and events.